2023 Cherry Blossom Viewing Proof Coin Set
Since its inception in 1883, the Japan Mint's Cherry Blossom Viewing has enjoyed lasting popularity as one of Osaka's best-loved spring traditions.
This year too the Japan Mint will release the 2023 Cherry Blossom Viewing Proof Coin Set to commemorate this traditional event.
Same as last year, the Japan Mint opened its gates and hosted Cherry Blossom Viewing while taking preventive measures to reduce the risk of Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection. Also, we have continued to sell annual coin sets featuring it for our customers.
Obverse (left)/ Reverse (right)
The obverse of the silver medal features the design of the Blossom of the Year, Shogetsu, in full color. Its name combines the Japanese characters for "pine tree" and "moon". The reverse shows a moon nymph and a pine tree with a robe hanging from it, as told in the folk tale of the Robe of Feathers, depicted in relief.
The Blossom of the Year, "Shogetsu"
Shogetsu is a famous variety of cherry tree found on the banks of the Arakawa River in Tokyo, which was a famous cherry blossom viewing spot during the Meiji era. The flowers are initially damask pink, gradually turning white, and eventually the dark red at the edge of the flower becomes more prominent. It has about 25 petals and one or two leafed pistils.
The coin set is comprised of:
- Six Japanese legal tender coins issued in 2023 in proof condition (a 500 yen bicolor clad proof coin (nickel-brass, cupronickel and copper), a 100 yen cupronickel proof coin, a 50 yen cupronickel proof coin, a 10 yen bronze proof coin, a 5 yen brass proof coin and a 1 yen aluminum proof coin),
- A color sterling silver medal(Ag 92.5%, Diameter: 35mm, Weight: 20g)*,
- An explanation sheet (English/Japanese),
- A leather display case,
- A paper slipcase featuring the Blossom of the Year, Shogetsu.
* Iridescent Color Shining Technology
A processing technology used to create an iridescent shine on a metal surface using interference of light reflected from microgrooves engraved on the surface. The surface shines in different colors when viewed from different angles.
Scheduled Sales Quantity: 15,000 pieces/ for overseas market: 289 pieces
International Dealers for This Coin Set
For South Korea
- POONGSAN HWADONG CO., LTD.
For People's Republic of China (including Hong Kong and Macao), Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia
- International Coins Limited
- Bank of Taiwan
For US (includes US Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico), Canada, Australia, Austria, Switzerland, UK (includes England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland & Isle of Man)
- Asset Marketing Services, LLC.
For European Countries
- Modern Numismatics International