2023 Cherry Blossom Viewing Brilliant Uncirculated Coin Set
Cherry Blossom Viewing in Osaka
The grounds of the Japan Mint contain many different varieties of flowering cherry trees. Every year, during the cherry blossom (sakura) season, a path through its grounds approximately 560 m long is opened to the public for cherry blossom viewing. This event is known as "Cherry Blossom Viewing (Sakura-no-toorinuke)" because people walk along a one-way passage while viewing the cherry blossom. Since its inception in 1883, it has remained popular as one of Osaka's best-loved spring traditions.
Same as last year, the Japan Mint opened its gates and hosted Cherry Blossom Viewing while taking preventive measures to reduce the risk of Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection. Also, we have continued to sell annual coin sets featuring it for our customers.
The Blossom of the Year, "Shogetsu"
Shogetsu is a famous variety of cherry tree found on the banks of the Arakawa River in Tokyo, which was a famous cherry blossom viewing spot during the Meiji era. The flowers are initially damask pink, gradually turning white, and eventually the dark red at the edge of the flower becomes more prominent. It has about 25 petals and one or two leafed pistils.
This set is comprised of:
- Six Japanese legal tender coins issued in 2023 in brilliant uncirculated condition (a 500 yen bicolor clad coin (nickel brass, cupronickel and copper), a 100 yen cupronickel coin nickel brass coin, a 100 yen cupronickel coin, a 50 yen cupronickel coin, a 10 yen bronze coin, a 5 yen brass coin and a 1 yen aluminum coin),
- A pure silver medal (Size: 17.5mm x 17.5mm, Weight: approx. 4.3g);
The obverse of the silver medal shows letters representing "Cherry Blossom Viewing" as well as cherry blossom petals, which are depicted by using latent image technology. (Different cherry blossom petals appear alternatively when viewed from different angles.) On the other hand, the reverse shows '23 representing the year of issue, and this year's animal zodiac sign, the Rabbit.
- A plastic display case,
- A paper slipcase featuring the Blossom of the Year, Shogetsu.
Scheduled Sales Quantity: 45,000 pieces / for overseas market: Max. 1,092 pieces
International Dealers for This Product
For South Korea
- POONGSAN HWADONG CO., LTD.
For People's Republic of China (including Hong Kong and Macao), Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia
- International Coins Limited
- Bank of Taiwan
For US (includes US Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico), Canada, Australia, Austria, Switzerland, UK (includes England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland & Isle of Man)
- Asset Marketing Services, LLC.
For European Countries
- Modern Numismatics International