2022 Cherry Blossom Viewing Proof Coin Set
Since its inception in 1883, the Japan Mint’s Cherry Blossom Viewing has enjoyed lasting popularity as one of Osaka’s best-loved spring traditions.
This year too the Japan Mint will release the 2022 Cherry Blossom Viewing Proof Coin Set to commemorate this traditional event.
For the first time in 3 years, the Japan Mint has decided to open its gates and hosted Cherry Blossom Viewing while taking thorough measures to reduce the risk of Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection. Also, we have continued to sell annual coin sets featuring it for our customers.
Obverse (left)/ Reverse (right)
The obverse of the silver medal features the design of the Blossom of the Year, Fukurokuju, in full color. The reverse shows cherry blossom petals dancing in the breeze and a crane and a turtle, which often accompany Fukurokuju one of the Seven Lucky Gods, in relief.
The Blossom of the Year, “Fukurokuju”
Fukurokuju is a cultivated variety developed from the Oshima zakura cherry tree and originally grew on the banks of the Arakawa River in Tokyo. Its flowers are damask pink, and the petals have undulating grooves that give them a stiff appearance. The variety is known for its large flowers, each flower having around 15 to 20 petals.
The coin set is comprised of:
- Six Japanese legal tender coins issued in 2022 in proof condition (a 500 yen bicolor clad proof coin (nickel-brass, cupronickel and copper)*, a 100 yen cupronickel proof coin, a 50 yen cupronickel proof coin, a 10 yen bronze proof coin, a 5 yen brass proof coin and a 1 yen aluminum proof coin),
- A color sterling silver medal(Ag 92.5%, Diameter: 35mm, Weight: 20g)**,
- An explanation sheet (English/Japanese),
- A leather display case,
- A paper slipcase featuring the Blossom of the Year, Fukurokuju.
* The new 500 yen coins started to be issued on November 1, 2021.
** Iridescent Color Shining Technology
A processing technology used to create an iridescent shine on a metal surface using interference of light reflected from microgrooves engraved on the surface. The surface shines in different colors when viewed from different angles.
Scheduled Sales Quantity: 16,000 pieces/ for overseas market: 289 pieces
International Dealers for This Product
For South Korea
- POONGSAN HWADONG CO., LTD.
For People’s Republic of China (including Hong Kong and Macao), Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia
- International Coins Limited
For People’s Republic of China (including Macao) and Taiwan
- Pan’s Coins
- Bank of Taiwan
For US (includes US Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico), Canada, Australia, Austria, Switzerland, UK (includes England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland & Isle of Man)
- Asset Marketing Services, LLC.
For European Countries
- Modern Numismatics International
- Empires History