2021 Cherry Blossom Viewing Proof Coin Set
Since its inception in 1883, the Japan Mint’s Cherry Blossom Viewing has enjoyed lasting popularity as one of Osaka’s best-loved spring traditions.
This year too the Japan Mint will release the 2021 Cherry Blossom Viewing Proof Coin Set to commemorate this traditional event.
This year, Cherry Blossom Viewing was unfortunately cancelled in order to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID 19). However, we have decided to sell annual coin sets featuring it for our customers awaiting this series.
Obverse (left)/ Reverse (right)
The obverse of the silver medal features the design of the Blossom of the Year, Yokihi, in full color. The reverse shows the biwa, an instrument that Yang Guifei is said to have delighted in playing, with cherry blossoms and a streamer dancing in the breeze depicted in relief.
The Blossom of the Year, “Yokihi”
The Yokihi variety of sakura comes originally from the Nara region. Its buds are deep pink, but when the flowers open they are damask pink, and the wonderful depth of color of its blossoms led to its naming for the famously beautiful Chinese imperial consort Yang Guifei (whose name is pronounced “Yokihi” in Japanese). Each blossom has around 20 petals.
The coin set is comprised of:
- Six Japanese legal tender coins issued in 2021 in proof condition (a 500 yen nickel-brass proof coin, a 100 yen cupronickel proof coin, a 50 yen cupronickel proof coin, a 10 yen bronze proof coin, a 5 yen brass proof coin and a 1 yen aluminum proof coin),
- A color sterling silver medal (Ag 92.5%, Diameter: 35mm, Weight: 20g),
- A Certificate of Authenticity (English/Japanese),
- A leather display case,
- A paper slipcase featuring the Blossom of the Year, Yokihi.
Scheduled Mintage: 17,000 sets / for overseas market: Max. 289 sets
Dealers for 2021 Cherry Blossom Viewing Proof Coin Set
For South Korea
- POONGSAN HWADONG CO., LTD.
For People’s Republic of China (including Hong Kong and Macao), Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia
- International Coins Limited
For People’s Republic of China (including Macao) and Taiwan
- Pan’s Coins
- Bank of Taiwan
For US (includes US Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico), Canada, Australia, Austria, Switzerland, UK (includes England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland & Isle of Man)
- Asset Marketing Services, LLC.
For European Countries
- Modern Numismatics International