10. Is there a coin bearing the design of Mt. Fuji? From where is it depicted?
Yes, there are five coins as shown below.
- 1 sen aluminum coin (issued in 1941)
- 1 sen ceramic coin (produced in 1945, not issued)
- The Tokyo Olympics commemorative 1000 yen silver coin (issued in 1964).
- The Japan World Exposition 100 yen cupronickel coin (issued in 1970)
- The 10th year of the Emperor on the throne 500 yen cupronickel coin (issued in 1999)
The designs of (1), (2) and (3) were not depicted from the specific sites. The design on the 1000 yen coin (3) was seen from Numazu district in Shizuoka prefecture.
The Mt. Fuji image on the 100 yen coin (4) was reproduced from “Akafuji” painted by Hokusai Katushikia.