2008 Mint Set
This is a standard coin set including six circulating coins of Japan. These Brilliant Uncirculated coins are set in a transparent plastic display case and a paper slipcase, together with a round red-brass medal featuring the year of issue and this year's Chinese zodiac, Mouse.
A paper slipcase features things or people related to anniversaries or major events scheduled in 2008.
The coin set includes:
- Six Japanese legal tender coins in Brilliant Uncirculated condition (a 500 yen nickel-brass coin, a 100 yen cupronickel coin, a 50 yen cupronickel coin, a 10 yen bronze coin, a 5 yen brass coin and a 1 yen aluminum coin),
- A round red brass medal (Weight: 7.5g, Diameter: 27.0mm),
- A plastic display case,
- A paper slipcase.
Designs on slipcase
- Wado Kaichin (or Wado Kaiho), one of the oldest coins of Japan, which was issued in 708, 1,300 years ago.
- MAMIYA Rinzo, who explored Karafuto to do a survey in 1808, 200 years ago.
- Tokyo Tower, the national landmark, which was constructed in 1958, 50 years ago.
- Kasato-Maru, the first emigrant ship of Japan, which left the port of Kobe in 1908, 100 years ago.
- Seto-Ohashi Bridges, the bridges linking Honshu with Shikoku island, were opened in 1988, 20 years ago.
- KAWABATA Yasunari, the famous writer, who received the Novel Prize in literature in 1968, 40 years ago.
- Seikan tunnel, the longest tunnel in the world, which was opened in 1988, 20 years ago.
- NOGUCHI Hideyo, the famous medical scientist, who died in 1928, 80 years ago.
- Lake Toya, which is the venue of the summit meeting in this year.