History of Branches

Saitama Branch

In 1879, the Tokyo sub-branch of this Mint was set up in the Ministry of Finance building to accept gold and silver to be made into coins and returned to the bearer, however the sub-branch was abolished in 1907. Later, in July 1929, it was newly reestablished at Kojimachi-ku, Tokyo City, its major operation being the fineness certification of precious metal wares.

Then, in November, 1939, it was moved to Toshima-ku to enable the expansion of its operations. Production of orders was begun in the same year and coinage in 1941. Then, in September, 1943, it became the Tokyo Branch.
It became an Incorporated Administrative Agency on April 1, 2003.
Later, in October 2016, it was moved to the present address in Omiya-ku, Saitama.

Hiroshima Branch

The construction of a minting plant in Hiroshima Prefecture was decided upon in 1942 with the aim of minting coins in Japan for various Southeast Asian countries. The minting of coins was temporarily begun in Hiroshima City in February, 1945.

Shortly thereafter Hiroshima city was destroyed by the atomic bomb and the production of coins was discontinued. However, in January, 1946 coinage operations were resumed at the present address, and from September, 1948 it was capable of conducting the entire coinage process.

Thereafter by introducing new machine, rationalizing work procedures, etc., it has become the Hiroshima Branch.
It became an Incorporated Administrative Agency on April 1, 2003.